Friday, October 8, 2010

Westward ho!

It's in the 40's there is a light dusting of snow on the mountains that seem to be ever present obstructions to the horizon. So far for me mountains have been the defining element of my time here in Utah. They impact everything from the weather to the round-about routes you must take to get anywhere. Seems a fitting place for Mormons to settle. A land of obstacles for a people, who for a long time faced obstacles to enjoying the free practice of their religious beliefs; and who now have become the grestest obstacle for so many to express love the way that they want.

The 3 hour drive from Salt Lake City to Loa took me from wide, familiar interstates, through traffic choking construction on the same (familiar too), to a high pass in a rain storm with winds so strong that the road spray from the car next to me blew onto my windshield obscuring my view. Around half way I turned off the instertat and wound my way through a series of twists and turns over several roads, for the time that I was on them bore the name of the same state highway. We have the same thing in some of the more remote parts of Texas. Some trans-state highway intersecting the main streets of towns in its path. The single lane, poorly maintained roads suddenly turns into a large, well maintained highway as if to say "this is all we are interested in." And for it the town gets a speed trap and a few fast food places and a big 24 hour gas station.

The placement of the rural towns here is different. Mostly they are in clusters. Not strung out like they are in Texas. My sister tells me that the original settlers (read: Mormons) grouped their towns purposefully. In every single town, regardless of size, there is a large Lds church.

As I drove further south, I began to spend more and more time climbing up mountain passes and cruising back down. Ear popping and signs indicating the summit elevation were frequent. The elevation afforded breath taking views of verdant irrigated valleys juxtaposed against the brown and yellow mountainsides. The final climb was the highest and steepest before I swept into Loah.

I bought the Tom Tom application for my iPhone and it ended up working as a very able guide. There is much more to write about. Now it is 7:30 and I need to head to Salt Lake for my flight.

No comments: