Saturday, October 31, 2009

Saturday - Life in Rio is a Beach

First thing I have to say about the beaches in Rio...There are some beautiful people and they all go to the beach. We walked out on the beach and rented a chair for 7,00 reais (about $4 US). In fact the entire day with drinks, chairs, and all cost us about 50 reais ($30 US). We spent about four hours on the beach. I spent a lot of it under my umbrella watching the waves roll through the turquoise water and crash to the shore. This town is centered around beach life. Shorts are rare, speedos are common and nice bodies are the rule. Made me wish I had taken weight watchers a little more seriously. Then I thought, "It's Rio, who cares" peeled off my shirt and ran out to the water with my friends. The waves here were serious. They'd drag you out and push you in as they came crashing down. There were a few times I had to pull my suit back up. Although it was cold, it was a blast. We went back to our chairs and people watched some more before deciding to head home.

After we got back home there were showers and a trip to the mall for some sim cards and dinner. Now it's 12:31AM and everyone is getting ready to hit the clubs. I'm on the fence. If I go to this I'm not going to pride tomorrow. There has to be more to Rio then trying to find large concentrations of gay men. I want to see the city. I've seen the beach. I think I may split from the group tomorrow and do my own thing. It's hard to believe but after tomorrow we only have two more full days here and then it's back to Houston. And though I'd prefer sitting in a beach side restaurant having acai paste, granola and bananas for breakfast with some fresh squeezed Ubru over dancing the night away at the clubs, I have to say I'm loving this city. Just being here is energizing. The constant breezes. The people all seem pleasant and happy. The word you hear the most is "Obragado" which means "thank you." You know that word and you'll get far.

This morning when Alex and I were having our breakfast by the beach we both agreed, we could spend a month here. I wish all my friends and family could be here. I know, I know, different strokes for different folks, but I can't imagine a life where I don't occasionally go to a place where no one speaks my language. I learn that though I get scared and I'm not comfortable, I can do it. I can make it. That's an important thing for me to remember. It's also nice to realize that even when the economy is in the tank, our life in the US is pretty good. Good enough that I could conceive of being in Rio for a month. I'm feeling pretty energetic, I think I'm going to go out.

No comments: